Wednesday 3 October 2012

The Chicken Effect

My car had some issues over the weekend so its been fixed and i had to take a bus to work today. I almost forgot how tight those things are! We were jammed into rows of fives then as if that was not humiliating enough, they left the overhead light on throughout given the bus an eerie feel like a coop for day old chicks. The conductor and the fat lady on the second row kept us entertained with colorful diatribe from the conductor on how fat she was while she went at him from the religious angle. she first of all called him a demon, then she told him that if he was sent to her by the devil he should go back to hell.
I had to scream several times for my change to be heard.
Then the man on the fourth row probably felt left out so he joined in calling the conductor and the driver, "mumu!" he then threatened the conductor that if he's not stopped at his bus stop he was going to pour sand on his face, which drew laughter from everyone in the bus. The tension finally broke and we got to Obalende bus terminal on a happier note than when the journey began.
But really that's quintessential naija bus ride for you. its anything but uneventful. I got down and though i felt nostalgic, I couldn't help praying that I don't have to repeat the ride again tomorrow. Naija or no naija flavor, having a car is a necessity in Lagos! And i thank God for my own, in fact I prayed for mercy to God if by chance I had nagged about the long fuel queues or being stuck in traffic in an A-Ceed car when others where languishing inside the rickety buses. My point is THANK GOD! Because you're better than so many.
And you may not be where you want or ought to be, but youre so far from where you used to be!
Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Hellene do you know why i don't often read your blogs? its because it serves as delayed gratification for me when i am a bit down.I am guaranteed to laugh soo much,id end up happy by fire, by force.
    keep up the writing-there's some one who depends on it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!you just made my day!!thank you and that is why I write, in the hope that someone will be touched and their day will be a little better, thank you so much for the encouragement, it means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete