Wednesday 10 October 2012

Busy Being a Christian! (BBC)

The tasteless killing of the four UNIPORT students in Aluu community has left me feeling scared for Nigeria. I mean, these are the people I fondly refer to as my very own peeps! The warm hearted, ever cheerful, eager to help people that suddenly grew blood-thirsty on that fateful day.
At first like most of us do when faced with such atrocity, I shrugged and tried to ignore it, but I just couldn't. It took seeing the faces of those four boys to get through to me(I refused to watch the graphic video that chronicled their gruesome deaths!I just cant stomach such visuals!)
But when I saw a still picture of them walking naked to the community leader's home for judgement, I finally came undone. When, I pondered deep into the night, did Nigeria become so bad? where are the warm, kind-hearted people I thought we were? What exactly are the Christians (myself included!) doing about the state of our great nation?
Suddenly we have become spectators in our land, witnessing evils and mouthing platitudes that help us hurry along with our businesses.
Shouldn't we(as Christians) be the light of the world? If indeed there are as many Christians in Nigeria as there are churches to attend (and there are many, I know!) then why isn't Nigeria burning bright for God? Why isn't our land peaceful, or healed for that matter? Can there possibly be so much darkness if we (Christians) are as alive in Christ as we should be? I pondered these thoughts and the only deductions I made was that we (Christians in Nigeria) need to genuinely repent before our God, and humble ourselves, and turn from our wicked ways, so that our God can forgive us and our land (Nigeria) can be healed.
Now more than ever we need to seek God's face for our country. Our leaders have failed us, we have failed each other, but God will not fail this country!
Let us stop the attitude of acting busy just for show and really Do what God would want us to do; Love your neighbor as yourselves and Love the Lord your God with all your heart!
If we love God, we will not deface His creation, we will think twice before we mete out any kind of justice (was that really justice?) on each other, we will look before we leap.
And tragedies like the killing of those four students will not occur.
I appeal to all Christians, Nigerians, home and abroad, while you're acting Busy Being a Christian our land is slowly falling apart.
Let us be more than spectators, take five minutes (okay two minutes!) of your time every day for the next thirty days to pray for mercy for Nigeria and Nigerians and ask God to heal our land, this is too much!
The Violence must stop! Let your light shine, be the salt that you were created to be and manifest the manifold wisdom of our Creator, that His name may be glorified in us and through us.
Thank you for participating in the prayers for the four dead students and their families, May God have mercy on us and heal our lands in Jesus name, amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment