Tuesday 18 December 2012

Under the Mistletoe...

I remember Christmas as a kid, it was simply magical! the air was crisp, we were off school on holidays, my elder sister was making homemade ice cream with my mum's cake coloring ah!it was fun all the way! It was my favorite time of the year, my elder brother was around to regale us with fantastic stories of local folklore, but Christmas day we actually wore brand new outfits and ate as much food (rice, fried meat, chin-chin, soft drinks, candies we got from distant relatives, etc) as we could! Then we visited some relatives driving around in my father’s Peugeot 504 and were given money! Slick brand new five naira notes that mum allowed to keep and spend on whatever we want. Ah! Those were the good old days… 
Christmas these days leave me wanting more, have i outgrown my childhood innocence and lost the magic of the season? or have i, finally realized that it isn't a day the government ordained for children to eat as much as they want and get monetary gifts from usually stingy relatives... One thing stays the same, the feeling of expectancy, you know something wonderful is about to happen, I don't know if I'm the only one that thinks that way, but I'm always so expectant during the Christmas period. And I don't get disappointed, I always find or get something that gives me that 'aha!' moment. I love Christmas, I love the fact that we have set out a day to celebrate the birth of Jesus (who cares if He was really born in October?!) the fact that we mark His birthday in such a big way feels me with warmth. I'm expectant again this Christmas, so much can happen and I'm sure so many wonderful things will, you know how they say if you're standing under a mistletoe you get kissed? Well, I'm standing under God's mistletoe and I expect a huge-giant-out-of-this-world-kiss from my heavenly father!Fingers crossed! I will fill you in as we go on....

No comments:

Post a Comment